Thursday, February 2, 2012

hike in 2 parts

I am not much of a Hollywood hiker. I think Runyon Canyon smells like dog piss and I always feel so under dressed and make-uped for everywhere else. So I strapped on my high heels, hoop earrings, booty shorts and went to Griffith to see if I could get close to the Hollywood Sign.

Griffith Park is a maze of trails and one of them in fact leads as close as you could get to the sign and try as we might to get to those big letters in the hills, we ended up almost in the Valley.  Which as any Angeleno knows is totally different.

So this was as close as I got this attempt.

Second attempt was also thwarted in a very different way.  We were going to take a specific road to get to the trail head, coming from a western themed lunch at the Autry. As we headed toward Mount Washington Road we encountered a coyote confusedly running down the street and saw that that road was closed. We headed out of that area onto crowded Los Feliz Blvd, after seeing a second coyote and up Commonwealth that was also closed off.

Since the fates were pressing their bodies against us, we decided to take the same trail I put on my best Tammy Faye and juicy tracksuit to hike, to see a garden that someone designed in the sky. I lost my way the first time tested my fear of heights and just as I thought I would give up because I thought I'd end up in the Valley again, I saw that oasis. And we sat there trying to enjoy the silence. Unfortunately for us a raven the size of a 3 year old boy was squawking away looking for another giant raven mate. (squawk away crow, love is beautiful if you can find it) So we couldn't enjoy the silence.


I found out later that the reason why the roads we encountered we closed due to the discovery of body parts in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment