Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Interview pre-wild west

T and I were sitting at Joe's eating a very hearty breakfast of eggs, hash browns and vegetables and I thought it was the perfect setting to do another "blogger vs blogger" interview.

I have known T for over 3 years now, and she has an amazing blog about exploring the wilds of California called Western Wilds . I have been on some of her excursions. I am referred to as K. She introduced me to tide pooling and for that I am eternally grateful. Before I get all mushy, here is our chat.

Kitty: So, what did you do today?
T: Woke up super early and took a boat to Catalina in the fog.

Kitty: See anything interesting on the way?
T: I saw a super cool Blue Whale w/ a big tail and I am totally going to write about it in my blog. (See here )

Kitty: Where are you from?
T: A little suburb outside of Detroit in the great state of Michigan.

k: Why did you move to Los Angeles?
t: (a pregnant pause) Following my man.. and to go to UCLA to be a librarian, but mainly following my man.

Her man is outside on a park bench recovering from the realization that he is not a sea person. Not a great time to find out. Especially because on the way back it is choppier. And although I was up top, because of the lack of places to sit together, I heard that a baby started a vomiting chain reaction that can only be likened to.. remember that scene with the pie eating contest in Stand By Me, we have all seen it, you know what I am talking about.

k: How long have you been writing your blog?
t: two years-she looks up in puzzlement- I can't remember. I cheated though and went back and retroactively posted. I started the blog in November of 2009, although the posts look like I started the blog in January.

k: why do you blog?
t: before the blog I would keep track of the tides and then decided to share the information w/ others. A close friend V inspired me to explore the world (in SoCal) and wanted to share that with others.

I like to show people that you can escape the city within a half a days drive.

Since starting the blog, many California explorers contact T about things she has seen. She often contributes photos of "what the heck is this" to iNaturalist which is a forum for people to share all the naturey stuff they see and help to identify naturey stuff for other people. They helped identify the 20 legged sea star we saw-which is actually called something I can't remember.

I hope she has inspired you to explore. She and I will be bringing a report to you next month-ish on Mono Lake, one of the many California state parks that they will be closing by next year due to budget cuts. See them while you can.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment