Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It is true...


I decided to take a trip to Minnesota in summer, the first time in 3 years. Prompted by nostalgia and someone's sweet nothings.

A lot has changed, good, bad angering a bit. I found that what I was looking for can no longer be found, what I wanted was a certain encapsulated moment in time that no longer exists.This is not to say that I do not have a special place in my heart for mpls (As I wear my "I heart MPLS nice" t-shirt) I will go into all these at a later date/time.

There is this great show about LA that is called "Things That Aren't Here Anymore" Los Angeles iconic locations leveled for "progress" of shopping malls, condo's etc. When I was in the mini-apple I felt like I could do a Minneapolis version of the show.

Kitty Cattaraugus' "Things that aren't there anymore"

Susan's Church:
Close to MCAD Susan's Church was a space turned into student studios and basically flop house. This was not, I believe, affiliated with the school, because you always had the feeling that it might just collapse with you in it. Late Saturday nights we would close down the bars and go and hear local bands, like Tulip Sweet (another thing not here/hear anymore), Hondo (to which I was the official president of their fan club) and other bands that usually involved a key board and experimental sounds. Kegs pf Grain Belt were always flowing. (I guess the historic Grain Belt Sign that is next to the re-constructed 35 W bridge is now for sale)

See a choose your own adventure of TTAHA .

Susan's church is now, as you see pictured a parking garage for Abbot Northwestern Hospital. I am sure that the neighborhood was sad to see it go.

I will leave you with my favorite Tulip Sweet song in memory of the good times at Susan's:




I didn't even contact mr. sweet nothings, btw, but maybe should have.

Stay tuned, for more things that aren't there.

No comments:

Post a Comment