Thursday, May 20, 2010

economic woes

Not to long ago I was just like you, looking for a job, writing resumes, crossing my fingers. Four and a half months and over 100 submissions later I finally got a job. I know many of you have gone longer and are still out there looking.

I remember when I moved here and I was unemployed for a month and a half. It was hard and it really made me doubt my decision to move here. LA is a hard city to afford, that is if you do not live beyond your means.

I remember the two jobs I had in a month and a half.

The first was writing an eviction letter for an Iranian tailor and teaching the wife and sister how to use mail merge while their Yorkie sat at my feet and they all chain smoked.

The second one I was tricked into wearing a "not to be mentioned" sportswear companies new dance line and parade around in front of UCLA students. Maybe it was called "gypsy dance of a thousand nights". I still have the bell-bottomed burgandy and neon pink spandex pants, bell-sleeved crop top and shoes as a reminder of how far I have come. (The girl who worked with me returned the clothes to the store for $200)

I think that the one thing I forgot to do my second time around being unemployed in LA was enjoy not having anywhere to be. I never went to the beach, I never sat a coffee shop and read (I couldn't find the non-starbucks coffee shops until lately) I never ventured to Chinatown to have cheap dim sum. I felt so very connected to my computer and phone. (btw the two phone calls I did get were while I was in a movie at 7:PM and while I was checking out at a grocery store)

My advice is enjoy it if you can, and I will give you recommendations on how to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment