Sunday, June 10, 2012

Somewhere between ornament and monument

Sometimes in life you need a reset. When a mood pervades that you don't want to be in and can't shake, life going in circles and circles, circling off to no where... I find it is best to do something just a bit ridiculous/campy/silly.

So I thought that I would find something to restart me, make me giggle for no reason and put me in touch with my fellow man and that something passed right through my neighborhood.

At first I scoffed at the LACMA Boulder, found it to be a monument to bureaucracy, a silly thing. That is what I love about LA its tendancy to make even the littlest things, major productions. A 340 ton rock and it's journey twittered away inch by inch, people proposing next to it, rock block parties, people following it like it were the Dead or Phish. Rock heads? Boulder heads?

But when its path was bringing it right through my neighborhood, I thought maybe this silly thing was what I needed to get out of my funk. So after a steak dinner, a quick stop at the Bounty, I picked up a neighbor on foot and we walked the few blocks to Western & 8th. We passed Rosens and joked about renting a room afterwards and sing Rock related songs..

Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I love Rock and Roll
I am a Rock, I am an Island
(please comment about the ones I forgot)

We were expecting to have to wait until 2:am, a whole hour, which was its target time to hit Wilshire and Western, but very un-LAlike it was ahead of schedule. We barely had time to make friends with nurse and her best friend who was a third grade teacher. Their class had been following the rocks path and she was very excited to share her photos with them.

As it approached people were cheering and clapping, it was rather infectious. The construction workers in their neon yellow, puffed out chest, proud of their work, posing for photos with the crowd. We followed it, snapping pictures, excited to see how it would survive the turn onto Wilshire. Hundreds of people were there waiting as it slowly turned. Someone jumped out of the crowd unfurled an American flag and did laps around it, the whole corner sharing a chuckle and a collective cheer.

A man came up behind us and asked what was going on and he misunderstood and excitedly called a friend and said:

"I am in my neighborhood and they are bringing a UFO rock through it. I am watching a UFO rock and it looks like everyone knows about it"

I thought about correcting him, but I didn't want to shatter his once in a lifetime opportunity to see a UFO rock.

We decided to follow it to Wilton, but after its successful turn it all of a sudden stopped. We waited while someone pumped "We Will Rock You" from a boombox attached to a bike and someone marched around with a sign that one one side stated, God Hates Rock, God Loves Scissors. I never found out about how God feels about paper. We waited 20 minutes and found out via twitter that the reason that the Rock stopped was because cars had to be towed out of the way. I would hate to be the person who found out their car was towed because of a 340 ton rock.

The Rock will finally be on view on June 24th. Mark it on your calendars.

Thank you LA for being silly, I really needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment