Thursday, September 29, 2011

Her beauty was matched

The Hammer is a strangely quiet place on a Thursday for it being free. I didn't even have to through my free card out, I tried but was greeted by a very joyful store clerk that said.

"You don't even have to show your _____ i.d., the Hammer is always free on Thursdays"

I smiled and was on my way to catch the Ed Ruscha -On the Road exhibit, that I have been meaning to see since the beginning of summer.

I was one of 4 people in the gallery and the only noise was a female security guard clicking her tongue on the roof of her mouth to catch the attention of a male security guard. It definitely echoed in the gallery. I would say for dramatic effect I put on "take 5" by brubeck to drown out their audible flirting, but my ipod was out of battery and I am not that pretentious.

I don't know what draws me so much to Ed Ruscha, maybe it is because text to me is as beautiful as the other art forms, maybe because I am daft and need to have things spelled out. THIS IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT. That isn't what Ruscha does, he finds beauty in shapes and loves the word [SO] and the work of Jack Kerouac, who was so influential during that time- a lumberjack kid from Mass. who helped to change writing so that writing had rhythm and sound. I can see why these two people work they both cross[ed] art forms so effortlessly.

If I would have known before what it was, I would have sat and read a book that changed my perspective when I was a teenager with a bunch of strangers that probably had the same thing happen to them. They were packed into Libro Schmibros passing On the Road around, and I just saw PACKED and went on my merry way.

Besides, I had other plans.

Exhibit ends this Sunday the 2nd of October.
Libro Schmibros closes on the 9th of October-I have to go back, their misson sounds fantastic.

Note: While there be sure to catch the 18 minute movie Octopus by Yoshua Okon.

No comments:

Post a Comment