Monday, July 4, 2011

5 regulars agree

I made a friend laugh the other day by saying "I am so lonely that I have beer goggles on all the time"... "I see a man from far away and think, wow, he is attractive and he gets closer and he has a whispy mustache and a drooping eye. That or I realize he is 15 years old. Then I give myself the heebs."

While discussing life and love in LA, Miss Lala Land and I found ourselves being 2 of 3 females (one was the lovely and multi-talented bartender) on a mid-day drink cocktail quest at the Drawing Room in Los Feliz. Which is a fantastic dive bar with cheap and strong strong drinks) Need I remind you that Miss Lala land when we were last together we got our dim sum taken care of by a secret admirer.

We chatted with them for a while, drank 3/4ths vodka to juice, I was trying to get a regular to admit that he was on a television show that I really like. We got familiar with the locals. Then came the question that I hate getting because I think of it a little too much myself.

"What are two beautiful, intelligent women like yourselves doing alone?"

I replied "I ask myself the same question. And I wish I knew why"

"Do you want some advice?"

"Yes, because obviously what I am doing is not working."

"You are kind of intimidating."

I have heard this so many times and I just don't get it. It is starting to make me just a little bit angry.

"I have heard that a lot." I reply.

"It's the eyes."

"You do not know how many times I have heard that too, but am I suppose to pluck them out of my head?"

"And the other thing is that anyone can tell when you open your mouth that you are intelligent. That scares men away."

"That is silly." I reply. "Am I suppose to act dumb and that everything they say is a groundbreaking statement."

"Just don't talk."

I was flabbergasted. (or insert word here that means the same thing, but slightly less 50 cent wordy) It is sad to me that there are people out there who still want their women just a little bit stupid.

(on another note, I am going to let thisislalaland de-batman me. I have never posted a picture of me on my blog. You tell me, is it the eyes?)

2 comments:

  1. I just read Miss LaLa Land's post, and then yours about the same outing. DO NOT listen to this guy at the bar for dating advice. You be your intelligent, loquacious, bad-ass self! I'm sure you didn't need me to tell you that, but I couldn't resist standing up for my girlfriends. (Or gals I haven't met that are friends of friends I haven't seen since college. Whatever.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I wasn't planning on taking the advice. I was just interested in the male perspective, but think if all men are like that I am much happier pretty, intelligent, alone and flapping my smarty pant gums. ;)

    ReplyDelete