Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rude by proxy

Last week a story came out by Travel and Leisure Magazine, naming Los Angeles America's rudest city . I love it here, but I tend to agree a little bit with their findings.

From my observations, it is not that people here are out and out rude, it is that everyone here feels that the rules do not pertain to them.

Everyone has to pick up after their dog, but me
Concerts at the Greek theater are smoke free after the fires, but the special cigarettes that I smoke do not set things on fire
It is illegal to talk on your cell w/o a hands free device while driving, but that can't possibly mean my phone conversations

pretty soon you have everyone thinking they are immune to the rules and LA is a dog shit covered town where pedestrians get hit and killed by people talking on their cell phones.

It is that feeling of entitlement, which is rude, by proxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment