Sunday, November 28, 2010

If I could bottle it up




The thing that I love about LA and that I am constantly surprised by is that it only takes about an hour separate yourself completely from the city. An hour will bring you to alien landscapes, plop you in the middle of the ocean, provide canyons for you to hike in.

When you land in Minneapolis, an hour will bring you to flat tracks of land followed by another hour of flat land and then perhaps some trees peppered by lakes then more trees and more trees after that. Not that this is bad, but the forests become dense quickly and do not offer a lot in the way of exploring.

A couple weeks ago I ventured north and west to Sycamore Canyon to try to catch some Monarchs rumored to be in the area. Nature never cooperates. That is what I like about it. We saw one Monarch. One. or perhaps it was a mirage.But then again none of us really stopped to survey the Sycamore trees for the firey orange butterflies or to smell the roses. We didn't need to stop because every step in the canyon offered an aroma therapy trip that not even the best of spas could recreate. Every breath in was

inhale-rosemary
inhale-wild sage
inhale-licorice
inhale-dill pickles??

I wish I would have bottled it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment