Friday, November 5, 2010

festival of nations


I knew I didn't want to leave Los Angeles without trying Korean BBQ. The truth is that I never tried it because it was always so daunting. Well over 50 restaurants in a 5 square mile radius with names like Sa Rit Gol, Soot Bull Jeep and Chosun Galbi; I really needed a tour guide for a place I could take a 5 minute bus ride to.

That is a common issue with Los Angeles; I find that there are so many possibilities that you become paralyzed.

I finally found a more than willing tour guide and she chose Shik Do Rak, on 1st and Western and I don't think there could have been a better choice. New to the experience it was great to have someone to hold my hand through the experience.

I make it sound scary and it wasn't. You just need to be adventurous and not afraid to stuff as much as you can into a tiny square of rice paper - again the overwhelming possibilities.

When you sit down little dishes of things are placed across the table, Kimchi of various types (also a first for me) vinegar pickled cucumbers, fish cake (so good) pickled radishes, spicy pepper and peanut sauces, lettuces. You order meats which is always various and wonderful cuts of beef, although for the more daring and non-united states centric palates there are plenty of intestines, stomach and other "nasty bits" to choose from. We didn't choose to go that way. We chose Galbi, which you can see pictured as frozen curls of frozen beef and deckle which is a brisket, skirt steak cut.

There was also plenty of soju (not a first and a staple in most of the bars here that are prevented from serving hard alcohol-Angelenos know this) and this great potato noodle dish that is now calling to me from the refrigerator.


I have been thinking about Korean BBQ since I had Korean BBQ. It is just that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment