Wednesday, October 13, 2010

MN roommate story

I am hoping that once this is posted that all of my roommate problems will be solved and my blogging mind would not be so fixated on this topic.

Since I shared a Los Angeles roommate story, I thought I would dig through the mental vaults for a horrible Minnesota roommate story. There are so many... but I remembered this one specifically.

It was my first year of college at a state school that will remain nameless, mainly because I think it changed its name. I was sharing a dorm room with this girl who couldn't be more different than I was, Just Do It! posters plastered all over her side of the room, she was a cheerleader for the school team, eating disorder written across her face and generally just unpleasant. She for sure didn't want my goth punky self in the room with her. I always wondered how they put us together in the first place.

She took a few opportunities to lock me out of our room when she left for class early during the time I was in the shower. But hey I could have brought my key and I shouldn't have underestimated the power that someone has to go from dead sleep to out the door in less than 10 minutes.

But all these things were not why this made this a horrible experience it was this one thing, this one afternoon, this one phone call that made this something that will always be one of the most speech sucking experiences in my life.

I was done with classes for the afternoon and I was studying in the room when the phone rang. This was pre-caller i.d. and cell phones so this phone call had a 50-50 chance it was for me. It turned out it was her sister, her family never called because it seemed to be a strained relationship.

I said to the sister "She is not here right now, can I take a message?"
As I searched for a pen and paper and I could her her hesitate for a second and her reply was "Yes, can you tell her to call home right away, her mother killed herself"

No comments:

Post a Comment