Thursday, July 15, 2010

a survey of midwestern moms

Even here we flock together.

I have noticed that a lot of the people I spend time with here are from Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Why did we all come from there to find each other here? Why is that? We posed this question to a mid-western mom and she replied because people here do not stand by their word.

Mid-western people are people of their word.

If they tell you something that they are going to do, they do it.
If we say we are going to be somewhere, we are. (and will usually call you to say we are going to be 5 minutes late if that is what we think will happen)
We are usually the first to RSVP to any event.
If we say we are going to call, we do.

I remember in my first year of college, I had a friend names Kotoko who asked me why Americans ask how you are, when they really don't care about your answer...or why they say that they will call to set up time to study, when they never do. I never knew it was a cultural thing.

Am I a foreign exchange student in my own city?

I have learned that people don't respond to your events because they are waiting for something better to shake out. That when you tell somebody that you want an apartment and you don't put the money down, they won't take you at your word and give the apartment away.

Have I changed? as I write this I realize that I should call Rachel, a fellow foodie who wants to go and eat.

And Moon I know it has been over a year, but if you are still interested I would love to go to Baazar.

Do you think I am full of shit, I love being humbled, email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment