Sunday, July 29, 2012

Memory is just a construct

The Museum of Jurrassic Technology is a maze.  I cannot tell if it is a museum based on farce or fact. Art or Science. It is dark and filled with 12pt text, it is impossible to read. So I really couldn't figure it out, but sometimes there is joy in coming to your own conclusions. Maybe that is the point.

I am a sucker for a good diorama, there are rooms filled with these. Painstaking miniscule environments. I got lost in the detail, wooden model trailers, fences and glued in trees and brown grasses. There was an exhibit of all the things left behind in our nations trailer parks. What I couldn't figure out was how all these things that were left behind, handmade dolls, drugstore dish sets were even remotely jurrasic or technological.

I watched part of a movie in German dubbed in English about the mapping of memory and how memories aren't real, but simply illusions. I hear that I missed the good part about an opera singer and a waterfall.

I saw an artist who inserted miniatures into the eyes of needles a play on the bible verse.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Mark 10:25

I walked past tempests, illustrations of sunspots, eclipses, old wives tales and old curatives and up to the tea room. I found a set of stairs that led me outside, a quiet garden courtyard, my new favorite place in LA. Worth the price of admission alone.


I apologize for the lack of photos, they won't let you take them in the museum.

Museum of Jurassic Technology
9431 Venice in Culver City
Admission: suggested $5

Next door is the Center for Land Use Interpretation. Their exhibits are free.

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to go for years. I still have no clue what it all means, but I love the courtyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me know when, I would love another chance to digest this place.

    ReplyDelete